Mission & Mandate
The efficient, fair and competent regulation of petroleum affairs and safe practices in the Nova Scotia Offshore Area.
The Canada-Nova Scotia Offshore Petroleum Board is the independent joint agency of the Governments of Canada and Nova Scotia responsible for the regulation of petroleum activities in the Nova Scotia Offshore Area.
The Board's principal responsibilities include:
- health and safety for offshore workers;
- protection of the environment during offshore petroleum activities;
- management and conservation of offshore petroleum resources;
- compliance with the provisions of the Accord Acts that deal with Canada-Nova Scotia employment and industrial benefits;
- issuance of licences for offshore exploration and development;
- resource evaluation, data collection, curation and distribution.